Friday, June 7, 2019

How The Coach Captured My Attention


IMPRESSIONS:

By Obioha Ikenna

Being a writer and freelance agent for select media outlets, the need to fine-tune my skill set in professional writing in order to help boost my chances of recommendation from clients was paramount; and with a stroke of luck, I enrolled for the Advanced Clinic to achieve these goals. The Clinic kicked off on Saturday, 1 September with my obvious absence that stemmed from late information about the program.
My first contact with the coach (Femi Akintunde-Johnson) was via WhatsApp. There, he introduced the concept for the Clinic; guiding me through the five-day orientation that detailed the rules of conduct for both online and class interaction; syllabus outline for the four-week course and also aided with a few catch-up materials. 
Obioha Ikenna
With the next class approaching (8 September), I was filled with an anticipation for the possible form the four-hour lecture was going to take. Although we established an online acquaintance, I presumed that real-life situation was going to be a different experience.
Laid-back on a rotating chair propped against the wall parallel to the entrance availed Akintunde-Johnson with the view of anyone entering or leaving. As I walked up to him to exchange pleasantries, he beamed and extended his arm to shake me. “You are Ikenna,” he said with his hand clasped to mine. “Your beard is something oh!” he said as I rushed back to the reception to sign. This brief encounter had me chuckling. I concluded that he was a friendly man but more importantly, a calculated person who noted my name and not just my face through sent portrait on WhatsApp. Apparently, it wasn’t a special treatment I received - he addressed each student by name.
Soon, a good number of the class convened and the lectures commenced with him making corrections on the previous assignment. A one-to-one experience, he captured the attention of the entire class, going back and forth with straight-to-the-point explanations; it was as though he felt where we needed help and highlighted it intuitively. He also relied on humour - when necessary - to tackle problems effectively. His approach to tutoring created the ambience that was essential for effective learning.

Obioha Bede Ikenna (Graduate of September, 2018 ADC-2 Workshop/Training)

No comments:

Post a Comment