Friday, June 7, 2019

My Impressions Of FAJ, The Coach


Aramide Olugbenga-Wyse


By Aramide Olugbenga-Wyse

Being a good writer is what I have always aspired to be, hence reading the works of great writers is my favourite past time. So, when I was privileged to do my industrial attachment with a soft-sell journal, National Encomium magazine, I was elated, simply because I would be working close to one of the writers I have always admired, Femi Akintunde-Johnson.

FAJ, as he is popularly called, is a prolific and engaging writer, whom I have followed since his days at the defunct Fame magazine, up till the time that he was the editor-in-chief of New Treasure magazine. When I heard about the Advanced Clinic with FAJ, I was looking forward to it, even before it started, so I can once again learn from him.

Getting to learn from FAJ is an experience that will stay with me forever. Even though it’s an advanced class, he still takes his time to explain in details, with adequate examples. He uses simple English to illustrate, but once in a while, he will toss in the big words, which makes the class more interesting.

Initially, I thought his Snap Tests were unnecessary, being an advanced class and not a regular school, so why the 'Assignments'? But I later got used to it and realized its importance. FAJ has a lot to share with us that we sometimes stay beyond the allotted time, but no one complained.

His familiarity with us makes it easy for everyone to relate with him. No matter how complex your name may sound, he takes his time to pronounce it. The irregular attendance displayed by some participants, was an indication of how his personality was taken for granted. But due to his obvious genuine desire to make good writers and communicators of us, he insisted on having a make-up session for those that missed 50% of the class before they could get their certificates. Not every lecturer will be that 'generous' when it comes to sharing of knowledge.

- Aramide Olugbenga-Wyse, News Editor, TopRadio 90.9FM (June/July 2018 ADC Workshop Graduate)

No comments:

Post a Comment