Friday, June 7, 2019

How Coach Changed My Misconception



By Joke Ladenegan

I met the Coach Femi Akintunde-Johnson online for the first when I enrolled for the Online Skills Clinic.
The first thing that struck me about him was his attention to details, administrative skills and professionalism.
Joke Ladenegan
I almost quickly concluded in my mind that he must be strict, distant and likely hard to relate with. With this notion, my resolve was to tread carefully. I pictured in my mind "a spirikoko - no nonsense regimental lecturer" who may not be impactful.
His first voice note reminded me of the man, Adolf Hitler. Though the voice note was solemn, it birthed varied thoughts in me.
The classes soon commenced and I began to change my initial thoughts. It was a misconception that had been erroneously conceived.
The real man emerged and I looked forward to "class time". You may ask why?
I found an archive, a fountain of knowledge and skills in the Coach. A thorough professional with an impressive profile. He is also a humble personality with an "air" of simplicity.
Each class ended with a longing for more because there was more to learn. The Coach was quick to point out mistakes and correct them.
Lessons on tricky synonyms, clichés, tautologies and other topics were taught with the aim of ensuring the student understood clearly.
The Coach would recap on topics taught to ensure it is understood. You may have to intimate him the time lapses when lecture time is over. This is not a flaw but a clear indication that he is passionate about impacting.
The Advanced Class was detailed as the Coach was explicit and indept with each topic. His style of introducing guest lecturers with pedigree in their fields of study was apt and an icing on the cake.
I expect him to work towards having an approved school to help tutor and develop more on writing skills. The past four weeks have been inpactful.
Thumbs up always for a worthy English grammar coach I have gladly nicknamed "Mr. Lexis and Structure"!

- Ladejoke Ladenegan, public affairs expert (June/July 2018 ADC Workshop Graduate)

No comments:

Post a Comment